Monday, January 18, 2010

Coretta Scott King on Same Sex Marriage

In honor of today's holiday, I thought I'd post a link to an article with some quotations by Coretta Scott King, the widow of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Before Mrs. King passed away in 2006, she denounced the constitutional amendment proposed by then-president George W. Bush in 2004 that would have restricted the institution of marriage to unions between one man and one woman. In 1998, she had invoked her husband's name and his life's work in support of LGBTQ rights, saying,

I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice... But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King, Jr., said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere' ... I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people.


Regardless of Mrs. King's beliefs and statements, there are many people who resist calling the question of same sex marriage a civil rights issue.

Please feel free to post your thoughts ...

1 comment:

  1. I think it's really easy for people to pioneer and to pioneer on ONE issue not necessarily realizing that in the end justice for one is justice for all. I catch a lot of flack from people when I tell them that I'm not for women's rights... I'm not for gay rights... etc, etc. I am for equal human rights for ALL under one umbrella. Sometimes people get trapped in a revenge tactic for equality which is only self-serving, and I believe that in order to gain true equality and justice one must be able to want that for ALL and to sacrifice everything for everyone. Also, a side note, equality means equal and so should justice - I think a nasty side-effect of trying to balance things out is to seek to balance things out in the favor the ones who have not been favored in the past. Anyway, those are my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete